Saturday, November 30, 2013

My Definition of Art: Assignment 1

Thomas Tiernan
Assignment 1

What is Art?

            Art is a form of expression. There are many different types of art, but they all serve the same purpose, to express emotion. The great thing about art is that, once a piece is finished it is considered a part of history. Whether done by a famous artist or not, art can be preserved for centuries. Therefore, anything can technically be considered art. I imagine the desire to make something special is a characteristic of art. For example, I believe basketball is an art because each athlete plays to be themselves, and they add their own unique playing styles and body language as they move up and down the court. To add, everyone looks at art differently. For example, I do not enjoy modern art as much as contemporary, nor do I understand why people watch ridiculous T.V shows about 5 year old models, but just because I do not enjoy these things, does not mean that someone else could not appreciate them. Thus, art can be enjoyed by anyone and should not be looked down upon or judged. Art can also be used as a form of escape. People enjoy making art because it helps them be at peace. When working on art, one does not focus on distractions like the news or the constant whining of a 4 year old, they simply apply all their attention to expressing their current feelings onto a canvas.  I enjoy drawing because I have complete control over what comes next. I am the one painting the picture, and thus I get my time to shine and express my feelings. One of my favorite artistic works comes from a scene in a movie. What started as a movie poster, this scene has now become very well known.
Many artists have been adding their own twists to this scene since it’s debut. For example, Banksy, a very famous street artist made his own version of this picture.
The pistols held by the characters are now portrayed as bananas. I believe he does this in order to lighten the mood and state his position on guns. Banksy is my favorite artist, and has created many famous street art (some call it graffiti, I call it wall murals). His style is modern and new to most people, which is why it catches my eye. 

Expressing art is important to the world, and I do not see art dwindling away any time soon. I hope new artists, like Banksy, become popular because I believe that art will never go away, and instead people will find more and more new ways to create art.

No comments:

Post a Comment